Midnight Café Cheesecake Recipe
Nothing comes close to cheesecake for a simple yet luxurious treat!
Made with our very own Zarraffa’s Midnight Café coffee beans, this easy recipe makes a decadent cheesecake and is the perfect complement to your short black!
Serves: 10 people.
Tip: Like us all, cheesecakes love a rest! It’s best made the night before, to allow the cake to set in the fridge.
YOU’RE GOING TO NEED:
For the Coffee Crumb Base
2 Tablespoons (40ml) of Zarraffa’s Coffee Midnight Café beans, finely ground
225gms of plain chocolate biscuits (e.g. Chocolate Ripple)
½ cup of hazelnut meal
60gms of unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
80mls of prepared Zarraffa’s black coffee, (use your preferred brewing method), we used espresso, but filter or plunge will work too.
500gms traditional ricotta cheese
330gms cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 cups of caster sugar
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 ½ tablespoons of cornflour
For the Final Topping
500mls of thickened cream
¼ cup of caster sugar
80mls of prepared Zarraffa’s black coffee
2 tablespoons (40mL) of water
Prepare the base:
- Combine the butter, hazelnut meal and chocolate biscuits in a food processor, mix with the blade until crumbs form.
- Add the ground coffee and blend to combine.
- Use a greased 20cm round springform baking tin, line with non-stick baking paper, and pour the mixture into the tin. Press down firmly across the base of the tin, using the back of a spoon to make a nice level base.
- Place tin in the refrigerator to firm for 20 minutes before adding filling.
Make the Filling:
- Add the ricotta, sugar and cream cheese into a clean food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth. Add the eggs and pulse to combine, (don’t over mix, this keeps the cake texture lighter).
- Next add the remaining filling ingredients – black coffee, vanilla extract and cornflour – into a separate bowl and stir to combine. Pour into the food processor and mix to form the cheesecake filling.
- Pour the cheesecake filling onto the base in the tin, and tap the sides gently to level and remove air. Place in the oven on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour, or until golden on top and almost set.
- Once baked, turn the oven off but leave the cheesecake in the oven to firm for at least 30 minutes with the door closed.
- While the cheesecake is cooling in the oven, make the topping.
Prepare the Topping:
- Whip cream into soft peaks, and prepare the coffee syrup. Place the prepared black coffee, water and sugar into a saucepan and stir. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let the syrup cool before topping.
- Once very cool, carefully remove the cheesecake from the tin and remove the baking paper. Top with whipped cream and drizzle the coffee syrup generously over the top of the entire cake.
- Place finished cheesecake in the fridge to set for a minimum of 2-3 hours before serving.
Dont forget to ask your Zarraffa’s barista to grind the beans to suit your brewing method when purchasing.
Serve with a fresh cup of Zarraffa’s Midnight Café coffee!