Recipe: Zarraffa’s Hazelnut Mocha Cupcakes
Made with our very own African Masai coffee beans, this easy cupcake recipe is a perfect compliment to our new Hazelnut Mocha!
Tip: Depending on your taste, the strength of the coffee in the recipe can be adjusted. This recipe creates a mild coffee flavour in both the cake and the frosting.
YOU’RE GOING TO NEED
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup of prepared strong coffee – we used Zarraffa’s Coffee African Masai beans with espresso extraction
- 1½ cups of plain flour
- ½ cup of hazelnut meal or hazelnut flour
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of milk, at room temperature
- ½ cup of butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Patty pan liners
For the frosting:
- 1½ cups of butter, room temperature
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 2 tbsp of thickened cream
- 3 tbsp of strong coffee
- Grated chocolate or other decorations
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Some of the hazelnut meal might not make it through the sifter, so add this to the rest of the mixture and stir together.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, vanilla, and butter. Whisk together.
- Make a well in your dry ingredients and add the egg mixture. Slowly add in the milk and the prepared coffee until the batter becomes a dark brown colour.
- Line your cupcake pan with your favourite patty pan liners and fill each liner up to ¾ with your cupcake mixture.
- Bake cupcakes for 18-19 minutes. Check them using a toothpick or fork to ensure a perfect bake.
- Once ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- When the cupcakes are cold and ready to frost, blend together the butter and icing sugar using an electric mixer. Slowly add in small amounts of the thickened cream and prepared coffee, until you reach your desired flavour and consistency.
- Mix on medium for around 2-3 minutes. Your buttercream frosting should be light with soft peaks, making it easy to pipe and spread.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and garnish with grated semi-sweet chocolate, or decorations of your choosing.
Dont forget to ask your Zarraffa’s barista to grind the coffee beans to suit your brewing method when purchasing.
Click here for store details.
Serve with a cup of Zarraffa’s new Hazelnut Mocha!