Zarraffa’s Torta De Café Recipe
This rich, coffee-flavoured cake is easy to make and is sure to become a family favourite!
A traditional Colombian dessert, this torte is often served after a meal with a large cup of freshly-brewed café (coffee).
Our recipe works best with Zarraffa’s Colombian coffee beans, which have a smooth toffee and chocolate flavour profile.
Tip: Depending on your taste, the strength of the coffee in the recipe can be adjusted. This recipe creates a mild coffee flavour in both the cake and the frosting.
YOU’RE GOING TO NEED
For the cake:
- 1 cup of brewed strong coffee – we used a double shot of Zarraffa’s Coffee Colombian espresso
- 2 ½ cups of self raising flour
- ½ cup of milk
- 3 eggs
- 225gms of butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups of white sugar
- A pinch of salt
For the frosting:
- 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds
- 2/3 cup of icing sugar
- 2 cups of thickened cream
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Milk chocolate for decorating
- Coffee beans for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and grease two round cake tins.
- Prepare the cup of coffee using your preferred brewing method and set aside to cool to room temperature. We used Zarraffa’s Coffee Colombian beans with espresso extraction.
- Whisk the flour and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer for a few minutes, then add the sugar and mix until smooth.
- Combine all of the ingredients together in one large bowl and add in the melted butter, milk, the prepared cup of coffee and the vanilla extract. Mix for another minute with the electric mixture until your batter is well combined.
- Divide the cake batter in half and pour into the greased circle tins.
- Bake approximately 20-25 minutes. Cakes should bounce back when touched.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the frosting – pour the thickened cream into a large bowl, then add the icing sugar, vanilla extract, coffee grounds.
- Mix the ingredients with an electric mixer until whipped and soft peaks form.
- Spread half of the frosting on the top of one cake, before placing the second cake layer on top. Add the remaining frosting and decorate as desired with shaved chocolate and coffee beans.
Don’t forget to ask your Zarraffa’s barista to grind the coffee beans to suit your brewing method when purchasing.
Click here for store details.
Serve with a cup of freshly-brewed Zarraffa’s Coffee!